Using content created by others
Self-published authors and indie publishers often want to use content created by others to enhance, embellish, support, and augment their creative works. Some of this content may be in the public domain and may freely be used without first obtaining permission. Other content is protected by copyright laws and permission must first be obtained to legally use copyrighted content.
The first challenge is to correctly identify which content is protected and which may freely be used. The second challenge is to identify the copyright holder, make contact, and acquire permission to use the chosen content in the manner desired. The consultants with The Copyright Detective® are available to assist with both of these challenges.
The Copyright Detective®
The Copyright Detective® can review your content and identify copyright issues that may need to be addressed. Then we can develop a customized plan to help you become copyright compliant as you create and publish works that reflect your inspiration.
Resources such as our award-winning copyright guidelines will help you successfully navigate US copyright laws as you build on the creativity of others. Click on the navigation links below for the services and resources we offer.
Copyright Compliance Services
- Copyright Clearance Services ~ Identify copyright issues in your created works. Identify rights holders. Submit permissions requests. Review license terms and conditions. Track the permissions acquisition process.
- Copyright Consulting Services ~ Determine your needs for copyright clearance and copyright compliance.
- Copyright Compliance Training ~ Group and one-on-one training to establish copyright compliance policies and procedures.
- Copyright guidelines: Copyright Clearance for Creatives
- Blogs on timely copyright topics ~ Dozens of blogs on timely copyright topics.
- Articles on copyright topics ~ Articles available for sharing.
- Informational pamphlets ~ More in-depth discussions of timely copyright topics.